Visits by famous persons
Pedda Koneru (Big lake)
Raja Vasireddy Venkatadri Naidu
Jaya Stambham - Sri Krishna Deva Raya Sasanam
Inscription in the temple
Vijaya Nagara Kingdom Founders from Mangalagiri
Town Population in different years
Since 225 B.C., Mangalagiri was ruled by great kings. Andhra Satavahanas ruled from 225 B.C. to 225 A.D. with Dhanya Katakam as the capital. From 225 A.D. to 300 A.D., Ikshwakus ruled. Since 300 A.D., Pallavas started ruling. After that Ananda Gotrajas ruled with Kanteru as the capital. Vishnu Kundeenas ruled from 420 A.D. to 620 A.D. Madhava Verma-2, who is in the generation of Vishnu kundeenas ruled with Vijayawada as the capital. Since 630 A.D., Chanakyas ruled.
After Palnati war in 1180 A.D., Mangalagiri was ruled by Kakateeyas. In 1323, Delhi sultans defeated Kakateeyas, and Mangalagiri came under the control of them. In 1353, Reddi kings ruled with Kondaveedu as the capital. In 1424, kondaveedu kingdom demolished, and Mangalagiri came under the rule of Gajapathi kings in Orissa.
In 1515, Andhra Bhoja, Sri Krishnadeva Raya defeated Gajapathi kings and he started ruling. Mangalagiri is one of the 200 towns in Vijayanagara kingdom. In 1565, in the Tallikota war, Vijayanagar kingdom was destroyed, and Golkonda Kuthub Shahi started ruling. Golkonda sultan divided kondaveedu into 14 parts, and Mangalagiri was one part in that. In Mangalagiri, there were 33 villages at that time. From 1750-1758, it was under the rule of French, and from 1758-1788, it was under the rule of Nijams.
On 18-9-1788, Hyderabad navab, Nijam Alikhan gave Guntur to British people. They made Raja Vasireddi Venkatadri Naidu as Jamindar of this place. He constructed Gali Gopuram (big tower) for the temple. From 1788-94, Circuit Committee of East India company ruled Mangalagiri. In 1794, Circuit committee was cancelled, and with 14 mandals, Guntur district was formed. In 1859, Guntur district was merged in Krishna district, and on 1-10-1904, it was separated. Since then, Mangalagiri has been a part of Guntur district.
Visits by famous people
Since Ancient times, Mangalagiri has been famous for weaving, and Vaishnavism. Many great devotees visited this place. Famous preacher of Adwaita philosophy, Sri Adhi Sankaracharya, famous preacher of Visishtadwaita philosophy, Sri Ramanujacharya, famous preacher of Dwaita Philosophy, Sri Madhvacharya had visited this place. Vallabhacharya stayed here, and started his preachings from this place. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu visited this place, and his foot prints are there near the hill. The grand son of Annamacharya, Sri Tallapaka China Tirumalaiah donated land to the Ramanuja society in 1561.
When Sri Krishna Deva Raya was ruling, his minister Maha Mantri Timmarasu visited Mangalagiri, and established one Vijaya Stupham (A pole for the victory). Kondaveeti governor Siddhiraju Timmaraju developed temple, and donated land to it. The great poet Abbanamathya visited the temple several times, and dedicated his Aniruddha Charitra to Lord Narasimha Swamy.
Golkonda sultan Khutub Ali visited in 1594. Raja Vasireddi Venkatadri Naidu visited this place many times as a Jamindar. Mohammed Khuli Khutub Shah visited this place and reduced the tax, and established Sasana Stambham. On 22-3-1679, East India Company Chief Officer Strain Sham Master came and visited the temple. Tanjavuru King Raja Sirfoji visited on 20-11-1820, and gifted Dakshanavrutha Sankham.
Srimannarayana Jeeyar (Pedda Jeeyar) Swamy visited Mangalagiri on 16-2-1962, and established Srirama nama krathu pole. Mother Teresa visited Donbosco physically handicapped school in 1982.
In 1831, for sometime, farmers did not get food grains because of heavy rains. In 1832 May, there was a cyclone, and all the farms were destroyed by that. In 1833, the drought increased. This drought is called as Nandana Karuvu or Guntur Karuvu (Guntur drought). This is also called as Dokkala Karuvu or Pedda Karuvu. At that time, in Guntur district, there were so many dead bodies from Ongole to Machilipatnam. Even the highway from Godavari districts to Chennai had so many dead bodies. East india company did not recognize the intensity of this drought in time, and because of that many people died. There was not enough food or water for any body. Because of this drought, in Guntur district, 2 lakh people out of 5 lakh population died. The farms did not come to proper stage even for 20 years. The drought was more in Guntur district than other districts. That's why it was called as Guntur drought.
In 1780, Hyder Ali was a king of Mysore. His Commander-in-Chief Narasu tried to capture this place. But, they could not do it. They theft in Mangalagiri, and villages near by including Kadavalakuduru, Vetapalem, and Nijampatnam. At that time, this place was ruled by Nijam brother Basalath Jangh.
Pindaris means a big crowd of thieves. These thieves belong to Maharashtra. They come by horses, and thieve in a fraction of seconds. They used to thieve when farmers get the crops. In 1814, there were nearly 25,000 pindaris. They had 20,000 horses. In 1816, they theft in 339 villages in 11 1/2 days. In March 1816, they came in 2000 horses, and in guntur district, they theft in 40 villages. They killed many people, and fired few villages. They took many women, and sold them as slaves. Many of them suicided. There were so many dead bodies at many places. It was one of the horrible experiences in Mangalagiri.
When british were ruling india, they got full control on forests. By that, many people who lived in forests lost their occupation. To live, they became thieves. British people recognized those people as criminals. In 1913, in the criminal settlement, they moved all these to a place in between Bakingham canal and Krishna river. This settlement was conducted by one missionary organization called as Salvation Army from 1913 to 1932. Police department took care of that settlement from 1932 to 1956. In 1956, it came into Social Welfare Organization. Till 1948, government recognized these people as criminals. In 1962, they cancelled the settlement, and recognized them as good people. Government donated 156 acres of land for farm.
In Main Bazaar, near Ramalayam, there is a street called as Sasana Stambham street. In that street, there is one ancient Sasanam (Order) with eight faces. This street got that name by that Sasanam. In that, 46 lines were written in telugu, and 4 lines were written in persian. In 1565, Mangalagiri went under the control of Golkonda Khutub Shahi. In 1593, Khutub Sha increased the occupation tax so much. Because of that, many weavers left for other places for weaving like Machilipatnam. Sultan came to know about this, and he told his Commander-In-Chief Khoja Ali to bring the people back to their places. Khoja Ali told people that, they were cancelling the pullari tax, and the other taxes can be paid in four installments. This reduction of taxes is written in this Sasanam.
Pedda Koneru (Big lake)
In the centre of Mangalagiri, there is one lake in the area of half acre. It's name is Kalyana Pushkarini. It was dug in 1558, when Vijayanagara kings were ruling this place. It is very deep, and has steps on the four sides. It belongs to Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple. It is said that, there are two wells inside the lake. There is a sivalingam on the east side of this temple. In 1832, when there was drought in Mangalagiri, the lake became empty, and 9,840 guns, and 44 bullets were found, which belong to Pindaris. In 1883, Gardan Mckanjee wrote in krishna district manual that, people used to say that, there was a gold temple inside the lake. In 19th century, Sri Marella Seenaiah Dasu developed Anjaneya Swamy temple in the lake, and donated two acres of land. For many centuries people used this water for the Abhishekha of the lord. In 1996, Mangalagiri Officers Club tried to develop it in the management of Major Chari, and Andhra Bank Manager Sri Kesava Reddy. In 2004, for krishna pushkaras, compound wall was constructed.
Raja Vasireddy Venkatadri Naidu
Raja Vasireddy Venkatadri Naidu was born on 1761 April 20th, to Jagganna, and Achchamma. He was a jamindar for Mangalagiri from 1788 to 1817. There were 551 villages under his control. When he was a jamindar, Chenchus used to come, and loot the people. To stop those, he invited 150 leaders in Chenchus and killed them. By that, people were safe from the thefts. But, he felt very unhappy, and got the suggestion to construct temples from few people. By that suggestion, he constructed and developed many temples. He only constructed the 11 storeys tower in Mangalagiri in 1807-09. By this activity, everybody in Mangalagiri remembered his name. He died on 17-8-1817.
Jaya Stambham - Sri Krishna Deva Raya Sasanam
This sasanam is at the starting of the steps of Panakala Swamy temple. It is said that, this sasanam was laid by Sri Krishnadeva Rayalu. But, actually it is related to his prime minister Thimmarasu. On 1515 June 23rd, Sri Krishna Deva Raya won Kondaveeti kingdom, and mentioned in this sasanam. It mentions of Jaya (Victory) of the king, and so called as Java Stambham (Victory pole). This sasanam also mentiones about 19 donations made by amaravathi governor Nadendla Thimma. It contains three main historical informations from line number 198 to 208.
- gathi midhuna krodaKhelA manognam pa
- rA vArAnkakAram thataputa Ghatithoththa
- lathAlam thatakam kruthva nAdindlayappa pra
- Bhu rakruthatharAm viprasAdhAthukUrow
- shAkAbhdE gajaraAma vArdhimahigE dhAthrA
- KhyavarshE Ghanam prAsAdam navahEmakum
- Bhakalitham ramyam mahAmantapam srimanmam
- gaLa shaila naDha harayE nAdindlayappa praBhu
- grAmam mangaLa shailavAmakamapi prAdhAt
- nrusimhAyacha shakabdE brahmavahni shru
- thishashigaNithE chEshwarAKhyE varshE rEtUri grAma
In 1516, they constructed one mantapam and nine khumbhas. The present 11 storeys tower had 3 storeys at that time. It said that, Thimma constructed that 3 storeys. The present mantapam is constructed by Thimma. The sasanam mentiones that, this town is donated to Lord Narasimha Swamy. The places which are donated to Lord are called as Deva Bhoomi (God's land), or Devasthana Gramam (village of temple). In the rule of Vijayanagara kings, Mangalagiri was a Deva Bhoomi.
Population in different years
Inscription in the temple
The stone inscription in the Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple has historical importance. In 1558, when Sadasiva Rayalu ruling Vijayanagara Kingdom, this inscription was laid by the then Kondaveeti Governor Timmarajaiah. At that time, a feudatory of the Kingdom was Tirumala Raju. He happens to be the maternal uncle of Timmarajaiah. This Inscription has 143 lines, and contains the donations given by Timmarajaiah. The main theme of this is donations. That's why this is called as Dharma Sasanam.
As per the information available in the inscription, taxes were quashed at Mangalagiri. Vijayanagar Samantha king Tirumala Raju donated 200 kunchams (10 kunchams = 1 acre) of land in 28 villages to the temple for charity. He donated loand in Namburu, Thalluru, Nallapadu, Medukonduru, Veerambhatla Palem, Thadikonda, Pedakonduru, Godeparthi, Duggirala, Uppalapadu, Vadlamanu, kunchenapalli, Kolanukonda, Atmakuru, Lam, Gorantla, Gollamudi, Nidamarru, Kuragallu, Isavolu, and Sakhamuru. Papi Setti, a chief of Chamber of Commerce and Trade was nominated as Official Chief of Mangalagiri. This inscription contains names of three royal personalities viz. Sadasiva Rayalu, Tirumalaraju, and Timmarajaiah. It also contains the celebrations that they made, and development of this temple. For the development of the temple, 5 types of Idols, 10 types of procession vehicles, and carts were made, Pond was digged, and flower gardens were developed.
During the Vijayanagar kingdom, Mangalagiri was a headquarters to a group of villages in Kondaveedu state. Sadasiva Rayalu ruled Vijayanagara kingdom from 1542 to 1569. Timmaraju was a nephew of Tiruamala Rayalu. He was the governor of Kondaveedu and devotee of Lord Narasimha Swamy. He donated so much to fetch Punyam to his maternal uncle. He authored Parama Yogi Vilasamu and dedicated to Lord Narasimha Swamy. Tirumala Rayalu was a feudatory of the Vijayanagara kingdom. He was the maternal uncle of Timmaraju who inscribed this inscription.
Tirumala Rayalu also happens to be one of the sons-in-law of Sri Krishna Deva Rayalu, a famous ruler of Vijayanagara kingdom. After the defeat in historic Tallikota war, Tirumala Rayalu fled to Penugonda Fort along with the king Sadasiva Rayalu, carrying huge wealth on hundreds of elephents. He acted as Regent for some time and became king in 1569, by killing Sadasiva Rayalu. Vasu charitra, one of the famous five Kavyas in Telugu literature was dedicated to Tirumala Rayalu and he was a great warrior and litterateur.
In the Vijayanagara kingdom, the famous merchants are called as Settis. They were appointed to collect the taxes. For Mangalagiri town, Papisetti was appointed as the officer. There were nearly 36 taxes at that time like land tax, Sales tax, town development tax, and temple development tax etc.
Vijaya Nagara Kingdom Founders
In 1323, Delhi sultans captured Warangal, and andhra pradesh came under the control of delhi sultans. People suffered a lot by those rulers. To get our culture back, there was one revolution done by the people here. As the part of that revolution, in 1336, Hari Hara Rayalu, and Bukka Rayalu from Sangama Vamsam (Sangama generation) established Vijayanagara kingdom. Their native place was Mangala Nilayam. Archeologists say that, Mangala Nilayam is Mangalagiri.